Thursday, June 11, 2009

Getting a tattoo for my Brother John




When asking for advice as to how to get 'in' to the tattoo business, one of the first things they told me is to GET TATTOOS, with a tattoo artist whose work you admire. So I approached Dave Nicholson, an amazing tattoo artist who works for the world famous Dutchman Tattoos in Vancouver. (New WestMinster) I had come up with a preliminary design for a tattoo for my brother, that would cover my entire right forearm. I let Dave go with the flow and design it the way he wants. He is an amazing artist, and he draws and designs right on the skin, rather than just tracing a design he has done before hand. This is the tattoo so far....

This tattoo is a memorial for my dear brother John, who passed away in February at the young age of 53 years old. It bears the inscription 'Fly On Brother'....lyrics from a song I wrote for him many years ago.


Sitting and watching Dave work on my forearm, is a fantastic way to learn. He works much faster than anyone else I have watched, actually drawing with the tattoo gun, really stroking the lines with finesse. I ask lots of questions. Dave likes the idea of me getting into the business, and I am hopeful that an apprenticeship is in the offing somewhere down the line.....

No comments: